Updated: Feb 24, 2020
It’s that time of year again... rideATAXIA 2020! Team Kendall is gearing up for our 7th trip to the University of North Texas in Denton on Saturday, March 28, 2020, to participate in one of my favorite events of the year!
rideATAXIA is an event that takes plce all throughout the year, all over the US. rideATAXIA welcomes people of all abilities to ride, and to raise funds for the Friedreich’s Ataxia Research Alliance (FARA.) FARA's mission to treat and cure Friedreich’s Ataxia (FA) through research.
Initiated in 2007, rideATAXIA started as a passion project of my friend and fellow-FA patient, Kyle Bryant. Kyle redefined what was possible in his life when he took up recumbent cycling. He says after training for and completing his first century ride, "I can't even walk down the street, but I rode 100 miles in a day. After that the sky was the limit."
Thus, rideATAXIA was born. rideATAXIA has raised invaluable awareness for FA and over $7 million in support of FA research grants! Functioning as a program of FARA, rideATAXIA events offer an exciting riding atmosphere with friendship, camaraderie, and the opportunity to engage new communities, moving forward together towards treatments and a cure.
We have been one of the top fundraising teams every year since 2014. I am humbled, wowed, honored, thrilled and blessed to announce that to date, we have raised $185,294 in rideATAXIA. My goal is to not only hit the $200k mark, but to blow past it! My goal for this year is to raise $30,000! (That would put our grand total at $215,294!)
1. Go here
2. Click on the blue 'Join Team' square on the right-hand side of the screen
3. If you are new to Team Kendall, select 'Start Registration,' if you participated in previous rideATAXIA events, enter your log-in info
4. Select the type of rider you want to be and follow the prompts until registration is complete. Remember to IM HIGH when you are selecting your fundraising goal. Customize your personal fundraising page however you want and SHARE IT!
1. Go here
2. Click on the blue ‘Donate Now!’ square on the right-hand side of the screen
3. Select or enter the amount you wish to donate and click ‘Donate’
4. Enter your information and hit “Continue’
Thank you for helping us reach that goal. Remember, no amount is too small and every single penny gets us one step closer to a cure by fueling LIFE SAVING research! Together we will CURE FRIEDREICHS ATAXIA!
To read about Team Kendall's experience at the previous years, check out these blog posts.